Industrial Cooperatives have been organised with two objectives namely social and economic upliftment of the people living below the poverty line. The most important Social objective is to safeguard the interest of the poorest sections against exploitative trends and to pave way for diffusions and dispersal of wealth. The economic objective of these societies is to create employment opportunities for the people by increasing the production and productivity of the units and to inculcate competitive capability and acceleration in the field of Trade and Industries.
Industrial Cooperatives, a wing of the Department of Industries and Commerce, plays a vital role
- In providing gainful employment to the rural people in general and women in particular through production type Industrial Co-operative Societies.
- In eliminating the exploitation of workers by middlemen through Labour Contract Cooperative Societies.
- In arranging for market for the products of rural artisans through Handicrafts Cooperative Societies.
- In providing infrastructural facilities including developed industrial sites or sheds to the small scale and tiny sector entrepreneurs through Cooperative Industrial Estates.
- In procuring green tea leaves through Cooperative Tea Factories and paying reasonable rate to the small tea growers of Nilgiris District.
- In helping the tapioca cultivators of Eight Districts in procuring the tapioca through member units of SAGOSERVE for processing of Starch and Sago and arrange for marketing the same.
- In sustaining the demand for made Tea in Nilgiris District and in order to ensure reasonable rate to the Small tea growers, tea is procured, blended and sold in the brand name of ‘Ooty Tea’ through Public Distribution System throughout Tamil Nadu by the INDCOSERVE.
- To stabilize the tea market and to eliminate the short comings in the conventional tea Auction system, a New Electronic Tea Auction Centre called ‘TEA SERVE’, the first of this kind in the world has been launched and it translates sale of tea of around 15 lakh Kgs. per month with perfect transparency to the satisfaction of tea producers / sellers.
In nutshell Industrial Co-operative Societies ensure marketing of the finishedProducts of the members, advantages of large scale economics to the members and mutual help among the members with cardinal principal of each for all and all for each.